Welcome to Muggles Market Monday! Each week we are spotlighting one of the artisans scheduled to appear at our brand new Muggles’ Market at this year’s Geek Gala. This week’s featured artisan is Celebrating The Light. Nancy Curl took a few minutes to answer some questions about her business and general geekery.
- What kind of items will you be selling at this year’s Muggles Market?
I will be selling fused glass creations, including bowls, vases, plates, candle holders, glass boxes, jewelry, and magic wands.
- How did you first get started making these things?
A friend wanted to take a stained glass class about four years ago and ask me to go with her (she is shy). That class led me to a love of the interactions between light and glass – the potential is unlimited! Now I enjoy “warm and hot” glasswork vs. stained glass projects. These forms of glasswork require a kiln or torch and special glass that expands and contracts predictably.
- What has been one of your favorite projects to work on?
I enjoy creating themes in glass. For example, I was invited to a celebration of Australia day and was asked to share some part of the Australian culture with everyone. As a result, I made plates with Aboriginal-inspired art.
- What else can you tell us about yourself?
I teach meditation and enjoy yoga tremendously. One of my favorite activities is attending meditation and yoga retreats–these really boost my creativity!
- So this year’s Geek Gala is about space travel – if you could join any TV/Movie space crew – who would it be and why?
Ah, that would have to be “Thor”. Asgard looks like a wonderful place to visit and I love mythology (Chris Hemsworth would be there, right?)
- Make plans to come visit them on Saturday, October 22nd at this year’s Geek Gala!