Welcome to Muggles Market Monday! Each week we are spotlighting one of the artisans scheduled to appear at our brand new Muggles’ Market at this year’s Geek Gala. This week’s featured artisan is My Funky Camelot. Kirsten Vaughan took a few minutes to answer some questions about her business and general geekery.
- What kind of items will you be selling at this year’s Muggles Market? I will be selling my Geeky purses, neckties, dice bags, and steampunk leather goods including suspenders, gauntlets and garters.
- How did you first get started making these things?
I started making my Orc dice bags when we had a fandom gift store in Cary NC called Camelot Treasures. I wanted to make handmade items that the Geeky crowd could use, and that would bring a little fun into folks lives.I create new products as requests from customers inspire me, or I am hit with inspiration in the middle of the night and have time between orders to create new items!
- What has been one of your favorite projects to work on? I guess my current favorite project is my Ludo dice bag. I designed him ages ago, even cut out the pieces, but didn’t have a chance to work on him. Then David Bowie died, and I was inspired to create my Ludo bag as a tribute to Bowie and Labyrinth.
- What else can you tell us about yourself?
I love doing my crafty stuff, but I also really enjoy performing for Geeky folks too! My husband and I play “wizard and nerd/geek rock” as “The Blibbering Humdingers” at fandom conventions all over the area. We were privileged to play in London for a Harry Potter convention, and have played in NYC, Chicago, Orlando and more. Its super great fun to entertain!I’ve got a tween and teen boy and a crazy husband, and I am lucky to be able to work at home with my Etsy store.
- So this year’s Geek Gala is about space travel – if you could join any TV/Movie space crew – who would it be and why? I’d love to be the 12th Doctors companion, because he is awesome. But flying with Han Solo would have been the bomb. (snifff sniffffff)
- Check out their website at: www.MyFunkyCamelot.etsy.com
And make plans to come visit them on Saturday, October 22nd at this year’s Geek Gala!